As an emergency medical technician (EMT), you are expected to stay calm during traumatic and chaotic situations. This stress and trauma on the job can add up and lead to mental health and substance use disorders. When you’re not responding to emergencies or caring for others, you may have turned to alcohol or drug use to ease the pressure and stress of your job. You’ve helped so many people, but now you’re the one who needs to reach out for help.
At Footprints Beachside Recovery, our team is ready to be a source of healing and support. Our team offers specialized addiction treatment and dual diagnosis recovery programs designed to address challenges faced by EMTs. Learn more about our addiction treatment for EMTs today by calling Footprints Beachside Recovery at 727-954-3908 or filling out our online form.
Addiction and Mental Health Challenges Faced by EMTs
Many factors adversely affect EMTs’ mental health and addiction.
Some of these challenges include:
- Traumatic experiences – EMTs are often first at the scene to respond to disasters and provide life-saving care. The stress from these experiences can be challenging to manage, especially if not handled with the time and patience it deserves.
- Unusual work hours – It’s common for EMTs to work around the clock or have poor sleeping habits because of night shifts. This can take a toll on their physical and emotional health and put them at higher risk of mental health disorders, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and depression.
- Peer pressure – EMTs may not always feel comfortable reaching out about their mental health and addiction challenges. They may join colleagues for drinks at the bar to decompress and hide their burnout and pain. Not having a safe, welcoming environment to address their troubles can exacerbate their trauma and lead to alcohol or drug abuse.
Hi Im Lucy Turek, a Marine Corps Veteran and therapist at Footprints Beachside Recovery. I know what its like to deal with the stresses & pressures of the being a first responder.
Please don’t wait another day to find the care you deserve. Learn more about our addiction treatment program for veterans in Treasure Island, and contact us today at 727-954-3908.
Even if Footprints Beachside Recovery is not right for you, we’ll help you find somewhere that can help.
Our Footprints Beachside Recovery Approach
Addiction and dual diagnosis disorders can make it difficult, if not impossible, to respond effectively to disasters and damage work and personal relationships. After everything you’ve been through for the sake of service, you deserve to make your well-being a priority.
Some of the components of our addiction treatment for EMTs include:
- Trauma-informed care – Struggling with trauma doesn’t make you weak or mean you cannot be an effective EMT. During treatment, our team prioritizes guiding you through your trauma. Was it one specific event that triggered your symptoms? Was it a few events that built up over time? We’ll help you gradually address your PTSD and develop healthier ways to cope.
- Recognition of challenges for EMTs – As a family-owned and -operated treatment center, we’ve personally struggled and overcome addiction and dual diagnosis disorders. However, we are also knowledgeable on how these conditions impact EMTs specifically. For example, mental health and substance use disorders can affect reaction times when responding to emergencies and put your career’s future in jeopardy. Our Footprints Beachside Recovery team can provide personalized care and address your unique challenges, fears, and triggers.
- A peaceful environment – There are no panicked victims to attend to or night-long work shifts you’ll have to do at Footprints Beachside Recovery. Here, you’ll enjoy the calming sounds of the ocean, eat nutritious meals, follow a structured sleep schedule, and have the time and space to focus on your recovery. This is where your mind and body can finally heal from addiction and mental health challenges.
Start Your Recovery with Addiction Treatment for EMTs at Footprints Beachside Recovery
“If you’re tired of being sick and tired, Footprints Beachside Recovery might be the best decision you could ever make for you or your child.”
It’s hard to put into words how amazing this treatment center is. The facilities are top-notch – best of all, they are on or near some of the nicest beaches in the world. The staff and owners use a hands-on approach with all their clients. I honestly cannot think of any negative aspects of the entire program. If you want to get off drugs or alcohol and create the life of your dreams, this is the place for you!”